Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Their Eyes Were Watching God - Extra

I actually did enjoy watching the movie that went along with this book. I thought that it was interesting to see how they portrayed Janie. I actually was looking forward to seeing the end of it. What I don't understand is how Oprah could say that this book was one of the most romantic books she had ever read. For me, romantic is not really the best describing word for Their Eyes Were Watching God. If anything, it was a very sad, sad story about how a woman tries to be her own woman, but is never able to because men keep coming along and marrying her. I could understand the first marriage, but the second one... In my eyes, she was purposefully using her sexuality because she was bored, she wanted excitement. I guess I just do not have patience for that kind of behavior. And the marriage with Tea Cake? What in the world was that all about? You have got to know that when something like that happens it is too good to be true and also it will NOT WORK OUT! How stupid can you be?

So anyhow, I don't know how Oprah can call a story where the ending is shooting the only man you have ever "loved" - not that I think Janie loved him, I think she lusted him. This whole story was mainly about lust and the conflicts one can get into with lust. I guess overall, this was not my favorite read. I just cannot like Janie. She is just too selfish and lustful for me.

3 comments:

belikejune said...

I also don't really like the character of Janie. I don't understand why she continued to get married...if she was so unhappy with the first two, why would she get married a third time? She really perplexed me; I just couldn't figure her out.

mizzmemphis18 said...

When you think about it, the story was very romantic. Yes, Janie's relationships were all flawed but what real relationship isn't? Joe Starks practically swept her off of her feet and gave her everything she wanted. The only catch was that she had to change into a housewife, which is really not that bad in my opinion. I would love for my husband to be making all the money, while I am at home taking care of the kids, call me OLD FASHIONED!! Then, Tea Cake was just the icing on the cake. Did you see him? He was something new and fresh for Janie. He helped Janie find herself again. Janie was vulnerable at the time but it was also what she wanted. Tea Cake risked his own life for her, now if that is not romantic, I don't know what is!! Clearly I am a sucker for love, and I am easily swept off of my feet!!LOL

I still miss Steve Irwin. said...

I didn't particuarly like Janie either. I didn't think she was as strong of an individucal or woman as everyone else seemed to think. I agree with you that she wasn't truly in love with Tea Cake, she simply lusted after him. I think that Janie was in love with the idea of love, and that's all she wanted. I think she made herself believe that she was in love with Tea Cake even though she really wasn't.