Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Slaughterhouse Five

I read Slaughterhouse Five in high school and found absolutely no enjoyment out of it. Four years later I read it and I still find absolutely no enjoyment out of it. I understand that Vonnegut is creating this situation in which society/people can draw these huge questions out of this story and so that change can occur but why does it just have to be so weird? I have to give Vonnegut credit though; it is probably the most creative novel that I have ever read.

I guess that another reason why I really do not enjoy this novel is the way it is set up; going back and forth, from the present to the past and then jumping to the future and then back. I guess I am a pretty chronological person and I just do not like it nor do I understand it. Like the section we read for Tuesday about the British men coming out and singing. It was just so...weird, just out there in all ways possible.

In all of the stories that we have read, even if I do not really like the story, I can still say that the language and wording the author uses is brilliant or lovely. I really cannot say that about Vonnegut. His words are just so dry, plain, and straightforward. At least that's the way it seems.

I feel badly for Vonnegut that he had to live through the bombing of Dresden-which would mess anyone up- but why in the world did he have to start writing about it and convince readers that he was this brilliant man. Sadly, yet honestly, I think he was a nutcase - just my opinion.

1 comment:

08231996 said...

I agree. His words and the way he writes this book is so boring. It doesn't really capture my attention. It just goes on and on.